THE GEEK CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE

September 28, 2007

How I Spend My Sick Days.

Mike @ 12:38 pm   |  Comments (8)
Filed under: Morality/Ethics

Dear Mr. Palmer,

I very much appreciated your coverage of the discussion surrounding the proposed “Boston Peace and Heritage Park” proposed by the Turkish American Culture Society of New England in order to subterfuge the Armenian Genocide Memorial. On a local scale, it is remarkably similar to Turkey’s threats of closing its airbases to American aircraft flying over Iraqi “no-fly” zones in 2000 when Congress proposed an Armenian Genocide Resolution.

Clinton killed the bill, of course.

While I do appreciate your and the Globe’s coverage, I do question one of the sentences you used in your article, which reads:

“The Turkish American Cultural Society’s letter now could draw the site into the middle of the 92-year-old controversy.”

To me, the 1915 Armenian Genocide is not a 92-year-old controversy. It’s a 92-year-old fact. The word “controversy” implies that there is something to argue about, or something subjective, regarding the genocide.

The Turkish genocidal campaign which resulted in the massacre of 1-1.5 million Armenians in 1915 is a well-documented historical truth—and historians see a direct link between it and the German engineering of the Holocaust, as Turkey was Germany’s WWI ally and a number of future high-ranking Nazis served in Turkey at the time, including Franz von Papen (Chief of Staff of the 4th Turkish Army later to become Hitler’s vice chancellor in 1933), Lieutenant General Hans von Seeckt (Ottoman General Staff in 1917 later to be a chief architect of the Wehermacht in the 1920s), and most importantly, Rudolf Hoess, who joined the German forces in Turkey as a teenager.

Hitler himself refers to the Armenian genocide in speeches, when in August 1939 he asked this question of his generals (in relation to Poles): “Who, after all, is today speaking of the destruction of the Armenians?”

I understand that the Turkish government may consider the Armenian genocide a controversy, in much the same way Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad considers the Holocaust a controversy.

As Americans, I hope we never question the truth of what really happened.

Thank you again for your coverage of this issue. I look forward to future coverage.

Sincerely,

Mike Hodgson

8 Comments

Wikipedia much?

Comment by Allen — September 28, 2007 @ 2:33 pm

Aahahahhah!

My sources are far too detailed for mere WIKIPEDIA, my friend!

Comment by Mike — September 28, 2007 @ 2:44 pm

Have you been watching The War on PBS?

Comment by Mike — September 28, 2007 @ 2:44 pm

No, but I’ve been meaning to.

I thought your Armenian connection was severed long, long ago?

Comment by Allen — September 28, 2007 @ 4:14 pm

That may be true but my obsession with genocidal murder is here for ETERNITY.

Comment by Mike — September 28, 2007 @ 5:40 pm

Speaking of which, did you see pictures of that swastika-shaped Navy barracks?

Comment by Allen — September 28, 2007 @ 6:06 pm

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Top Bush administration officials are shifting into damage-control mode after a House committee narrowly approved a resolution that labels the killings of Armenians in Turkey during World War I as “genocide.”

President Bush urged lawmakers not to pass a resolution he says would harm U.S. relations with Turkey.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack issued a statement expressing “regret” for the committee’s action, warning the resolution “may do grave harm to U.S.-Turkish relations and to U.S. interests in Europe and the Middle East.”

Undersecretary of State Nick Burns said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice would call the Turkish leadership Thursday to express “deep disappointment” with the vote.

“We want to convey to the Turkish people and the Turkish government a message of respect and a message of support for them and the hope we can continue to work together with them,” Burns said.

The president, Rice and Defense Secretary Robert Gates all warned against passing the resolution.

“We all deeply regret the tragic suffering of the Armenian people that began in 1915. This resolution is not the right response to those historic mass killings,” Bush said at the White House.

Comment by Allen — October 10, 2007 @ 4:57 pm

Selling out the Armenians again. Typical.

Comment by Mike — October 10, 2007 @ 5:12 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

A group effort by Allen, Ben and Mike